CELPIP aka Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program specifically designed for individuals seeking permanent and citizenship in Canada. The CELPIP exam has two versions; Celpip general test and the CELPIP general LS test. Let’s explore both CELPIP versions.
CELPIP General Test
The CELPIP general test has four sections, i.e.
1. Listening section
2. Writing section
2. Reading section
4. Speaking section
These sections assess the English language ability of the candidate, same as the IELTS. But, we can not use the IELTS study material for the CELPIP test.
CELPIP Listening Test Section
The CELPIP Listening test is 50 minutes long section containing one practice task. The practice task follows by six separate parts.
Part 1: Listening to Problem Solving.
Part 2: Listening to Daily Life Conversation.
Part 3: Listening for Information.
Part 4: Listening to a News Item.
Part 5: Listening to a Discussion
Part 6: Listening to View Points
- Part 1: Listening to problem-solving is a conversation between two or more people that you have to hear. In this conversation, one person needs help to reach his destination; and the other tries to solve the problem by helping them.
- Part 2: Daily life conversation is a daily life conversation between two or more people that you will hear. The examiner questions you related to this conversation.
- Part 3: This listening part includes information on any random topic, and you are asked questions related to this topic.
- Part 4: It is similar to part 3. In this section, you will listen to audio related to some news and are required to answer a question.
- Part 5: This listening part consists of a video section where you will watch a video with a group of people discussing some matter.
- Part 6: In this section, you will listen to an audio recording related to different viewpoints.
CELPIP General Reading Section
The reading test is about 50 minutes. There are four sections to the CELPIP reading test.
Part 1: Reading correspondence
part 2: reading to apply a diagram
part 3: reading for information
part 4: reading for viewpoints and one practical task.
- Part 1: Reading correspondence will have some sort of communication like mail or email to read from. The passage is present on the left side of the screen and answers on the right side of the screen.
- Part 2: Reading to apply a diagram section consists of pros and cons. You will be provided 3 or 4 choices with data and images. You have to pick the correct answer.
- Reading Section Part 3 and part 4 are similar to the listening section. The only difference is that rather than listening to the audio, you will read the viewpoints or information present in the form of text.
CELPIP General Writing Section:
Same as the IELTS writing task, the CELPIP general writing section also consists of two tasks. The first task is 27 minutes, and the second task is 26 minutes long.
- Task one is about to write about 150 to 200 words email by following the given instructions.
- Task two about Responding to Survey Questions. In this part, you will be asked the survey question and provided two options to pick up. You will require to write about the one you choose.
CELPIP General Speaking Section:
The CELPIP general speaking section has eight tasks and one Practical task. You have only 20 minutes to complete the tasks in the speaking part.
- Speaking Task 1: Giving Advice: In this task, you have to provide a piece of advice to your friends or family members.
- Speaking Task 2: Talking about a Personal Experience: In this task, you will talk about your life experiences like school or college experiences etc.
- Speaking Task 3: Describing a Scene: In this task, you will be provided one picture and ask you to describe that picture to someone who cannot see that picture.
- Speaking Task 4: Making Predictions: Again, in this section, you will provide a picture, but this time, you will talk to tell what next will happen or probably can happen, as per the given scenario in that picture.
- Speaking Task 5: Comparing and Persuading: In this section, you will compare two pictures.
- Speaking Task 6: Dealing with a Difficult Situation: In this section, you will deal with a given situation. You will make decisions and talk to either party involved in this situation.
- Speaking Task 7: Expressing Opinions
In this section, you give your opinion on the provided issue. Questions will be asked, and you will have to answer as per your opinion.
- Speaking Task 8: Describing an Unusual Situation
In this task, a photo of some product will be given to you; you will call your known person and explain the product by looking at the product photo.
The above are the four sections of the CELPIP General exam. Celpip General-LS exam has only two versions, i.e. Listening and Speaking. Both versions have the same exam structure as that of the CELPIP General test.